If you look through your web browser and check out some pictures of Girona in Spain, the first thing that you are going to realize is that this city is not just ancient but colourful, charming, vibrant and beautiful as well. It is located in the Catalonia part of Spain and is at the meeting point of four rivers Galligants, Guell, Ter and Onyar. It is also called Gerone by some people and is the perfect, picturesque city mixed with a number of arcaded houses from ancient times, archaeological findings, monasteries, cathedrals, cobbled streets, medieval baths, etc.
The architecture in this city is quite noteworthy as well. It’s been influenced by a number of different cultures. It includes mixtures of Gothic, Romanesque, Medieval and Arabic designs. This city is one of the best hidden gems in all of Spain and it really is strange that Spain has not yet chosen to start promoting it as a brilliant holiday destination. It’s recommended that you visit this amazing city before the day comes when Spain realizes what it’s been missing out on and decides to commercialize the entire city. It’s located just one hundred kilometres from Barcelona and if you do go to Spain in the near future, there is absolutely no way you can afford to miss out on a visit to Girona.
The best way to reach Girona from European destinations is by using one of the cheap carriers like Ryanair, Easyjet for jet2 if you are in Europe.
The other options you have are either the train or the bus. If you’ve reached Barcelona, there are hourly trains to Girona at the Barcelona station. Buses leave from the main bus terminal in Barcelona regularly too.
Girona isn’t a large city. Getting around is not going to be very difficult. You can cover a major part of the historical centre walking. If walking isn’t your style, then you could consider renting a bicycle. And if that isn’t working for you either then you can simply rent a car. This will give you the added ability of visiting many of the nearby mountains and towns. But try not to rent a car if you just want to explore the city. The streets are quite narrow and you will have a hard time maneuvering through them.
There are many choices as far as stay is concerned in Girona. Finding a hotel will all depend on how much you are willing to spend. There is a class of hotel available for everyone:
– If you’re looking for budget hotels then you could try the Equity Point Hostel. It is among the best hostels in the country and is right in the middle of the city as well. It is a great accommodation for any traveler visiting on a budget. Pensio Viladomat is another small hotel which you will find pretty pleasant. The accommodation is comfortable and the service is pleasant. Do you really need anything else? Hostal Alhambra is the third budget option available. It is clean and comfortable. They will even be able to help you with a bicycle rental.
– As far as mid-range hotels are concerned none get any better than Hotel Condal. The interiors are clean and the rooms are comfortable and spotless. They all come with attached bathrooms too. The hotel even has a small bar. It is located close to a lot of restaurants as well. Hotel Costabella is another great 3 star choice in Girona. The amenities on offer at this hotel include a swimming pool, spa, restaurant, free Wi-Fi and a bar. And lastly, Pension Borras. This hotel is run by a family and offers great service and good accommodations.
– Now we come to luxury hotels. The first place you should consider if you want to live in luxury is the Apartments Girona Centre. It is right in the middle of the old city and offers and excellent view of Girona. Every apartment comes with a balcony which offers excellent views of the Onyar River and the old town. You also get free Wi-Fi, an air conditioner, a bathroom, a shower, 2 bedrooms, a flat screen TV, a living/dining room and a kitchen with a dishwasher, coffee maker, washing machine and ceramic hob. And if that isn’t for you then you can always stay at the Double Tree by Hilton. This is as good as luxury gets in Girona. It’s a 5 star accommodation and has some really stylish rooms on offer as well as a restaurant and terrace bar. The service is excellent as well.
For more hotels try our booking options try our booking partner:
With all that traveling, you will obviously get hungry too right? So what do you eat when in Girona? Let’s find out:
– The first place you should consider trying is La Terra. They serve some really tasty homemade burgers, snacks and cakes. They also serve a pretty nice cup of tea.
– Then there is Nu. They serve some really tasty Mediterranean cuisine for their customers to enjoy.
– Mimolet is the best place for you to go if you want to sample the local cuisine. The food may be humble but the atmosphere inside the restaurant is quite nice.
– Txalaka is the place to be as far as tapas and white wine is concerned.
– And finally El Celler de Can Roca which is considered to be among the best restaurants in the world. Do you really need any other reasons to visit it?
So what are you waiting for? You now have more than enough reasons to visit this beautiful city. Now go online and start searching for air tickets right away. Certainly, you will not regret your decision. You will experience a great adventure which will last long in your memory.