Traveling requires meticulous planning; studying climates and terrains and understanding what kit you’ll actually need with you. Some things will be entirely dependent on weather and climate. If you’re going to be in warm climates, you need protective gear like sun hats and UV deflecting sunglasses, if you’re going to freezing climates, you’ll need down jackets and thermal under-layers. There are however a group of items that all travelers should be carrying with them, that will be multipurpose and required in practically every corner of the globe at some point during a long trip. Even if you’re a casual traveler, chances are you’ll end up wanting to hike to a peak, or camp in the desert, or do something adventurous, which, without the right gear you’ll be left floundering.
So, before packing up your rucksack full to the brim, make sure you’ve planned for these six items that every traveler should own;
Victorinox Swiss Army Knife
The classic Vitcorinox Swiss Army Knife. This will come in handy whether you’re in a hostel without a bottle opener or on a mountain top having just caught your dinner. Superior quality stainless steel blades which stay sharp for what feels like an eternity. With choices ranging from a few blades and gadgets to dozens of options and accessories, it’s a product which will get you out of pretty much any situation.
Its pocket size makes it an ideal travel gadget and even offers basic grooming attachments as standard, helping you keep up your hygiene on the road.
The Victorinox knife is the original and best choice, with over 130 years of history behind the brand. We also love the one with a built-in USB flash drive so you can keep copies of all your travel documents. Most flash drives come with full encryption to make your data highly secure.
- A CUT ABOVE THE REST: Compact, agile and ready to face any adventure head-on. Our range of Swiss Army Knives have been established since 1897 and continue to be an icon of utility and smart design.
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: Swiss made stainless steel construction encased in our popular scales offers a slimmer profile and is extremely resistant.
- FIT FOR ALL TASKS: At their heart, all our pocket knives are a survival tool; multitaskers that deliver in any situation. At their most evolved they have surpassed basic function to pioneer space travel and restart engines.
- TRUSTED QUALITY: Made in Switzerland; Victorinox provides a lifetime guarantee against defects in material and workmanship. Making a lifetime commitment has never been so easy. No assembly required, money back guarantee.
- PRODUCT DETAILS: Swiss made pocket knife with 7 functions. Height: 0.4 in, Length: 2.3 in., Weight: 0.7 oz., MM: 58mm, Scale Material: ABS/Cellidor
O’Black Microfibre Towel
The absolute must-have item for personal hygiene while traveling is a microfibre towel. Thanks to the way they’re manufactured, using lightweight, malleable and more water-resistant materials, the towel can be both folded or rolled into a far smaller and easily manageable size than a regular towel, but also deflects moisture far better, making it dry faster than a typical bathroom towel also. Ideal for hopping from place to place and having to pack it back up with your dry and clean clothes.
There are many brands to choose from in this market, with some performing better than others. O’Black’s offer an excellent range of lightweight microfibre towels in different sizes, styles and at reasonable prices.
Trespass Lightweight Windproof Raincoat
Lightweight and easily stuffable wind and rainproof jackets are essential for pretty much anywhere in the world. If you’re planning on trekking up any mountains, exploring jungles or rainforests, sailing, or even camping in the desert, this bit of kit will be the wall between you and the elements.
The lighter the coat, the better, and Trespass’ jackets are both that and good value for money. There are some brands to choose from which will provide the quality and protectiveness that you require. Just don’t sell yourself short by trying to save money over buying a product with substance. That can be done elsewhere in your packing. Read more lightweight waterproof jacket reviews.
- Mesh lined body and polyester lined sleeves.
- Tres-shield fabric is waterproof 3000mm and windproof.
- Taped seams.
- Concealed adjustable hood.
- Full zip with tear release storm flap.
Victorinox Paracord Watch
A watch for all elements, created by the masters of survival at Victorinox. This durable stainless steel and water-resistant watch up to 200m is ideal for any adventurer or water sports enthusiast. With luminous hands, it works under the darkest of night skies. The watch’s biggest feature, however, is the paracord strap, made from the same materials that parachutes have been manufactured with since World War II. The strap can be detached and unraveled to be used for some scenarios. Whether as twine for building a shelter, a line for fishing, a trap for food, or for those with fairly advanced survival skills, a bow for fire-making.
Other paracord watches and straps are available, but Victorinox is once again the original.
- TOUGH TEXTILE. A braided textile strap softly contours around your wrist, ideal for everyday wear. Designed to handle dives as well as daily activities, the strong woven material maintains a sleek look and offers comfortable wear on your wrist.
- SWISS MADE. This Swiss Made watch is made to withstand 130 extreme endurance homologation tests. Case is crafted from high-grade hypoallergenic stainless steel.
- DIVE DEEPER. Take on the day fearlessly, on hikes, in the pool or diving in the ocean. The I.N.O.X. is equip to go down to depths of 200 meters, making this diving watch the ultimate explorer. Water resistance: 20 ATM/200 m./660 ft.
- WATCH DETAILS. 43mm. Date, analog quartz movement. Removable translucent protection bumper.
- TRUSTED QUALITY. Watches purchased from authorized retailers eligible for a 3-year limited warranty. Excludes battery life, normal wear and tear, improper handling, damage resulting from abuse, misuse, accidents or unauthorized repair.
Aleader Lightweight and Waterproof Hiking Boots
For ankle and foot support, as well as superior tread, you can’t beat hiking boots for long walks, mountain or jungle treks or even simply walking through more historical cities with primitive infrastructure. A pair of hiking boots can be heavy, so make sure you keep an eye on weight. If it’s your only pair of shoes for traveling, then there’s less to worry about but if you’re planning on wearing trainers or other casual shoes for most of your trip, bear in mind you’ll need to be carrying these with you on your back. Waterproofing or at the very least, resistance, should be a high priority also for trails with river crossings or humidity factors involved.
Aleader’s all leather and rubber option is both lightweight and fully waterproof.
OutdoorsmanLab Travel Sleeping Bag
At some point on your trip, chances are you’ll need a sleeping bag. Whether because you’ll be camping overnight up volcanoes or because the hostel you’ve picked hadn’t planned for the recent chilly spell of weather that the area is experiencing. Either way, when you choose one, choose a travel one. Sleeping bags can be frustratingly space consuming, and as easy as it looks having one hanging off of the side of your rucksack, prolonged exposure to the outdoors or being bashed around can leave them a little bashed, bruised and dirty.
OutdoorsmanLab’s lightweight and compact travel sleeping bag will fit in your rucksack nicely, and is stuffable, meaning it will take the shape of whatever else is in your pack.
- Patent pending built-in pillow case design for great night of sleep with newly upgraded anti-snag zipper system
- Perfect warm weather bag: Super lightweight (16lb), soft and comfortable compact sleeping bag
- Stop rolling of sleeping pad: 2 elastic straps on the backside ensures you stay on your sleeping pad the entire night
- Make it a double: Perfect for couples, parents with kids buy 2 different color sleeping bags and zip them together into a double bag
- Pack light and small with compression sack: Super small and lightweight when packed with included compression sack
The famous saying of ‘failing to prepare, is preparing to fail’ is never apter than with traveling. At the very least you’ll end up forking out money from your travel fund for things that you could have shopped around for back home for less. Make sure you’re prepared by ticking off all of the essentials before you leave, leaving the rest of your thoughts to be taken up by all the exciting adventures you’ll be getting up to on your travels.