When you first go to purchase a trekking pole you probably won’t have realized the sheer amount of options there are on the market. From major brands all the way to smaller lesser known companies everybody is competing to get your cash and making that all important decision can be really difficult. We have come up with a short buying guide which should make it much easier to choose between all of these amazing options. Make sure you also check out some of our reviews of the best trekking poles on the market today as well!
What is a Trekking Pole?
If you’ve never used a trekking pole before, and have no idea what one is then you’re really missing out. One easy way to describe what a trekking pole is by calling it a walking stick, designed for adventurous people. They are strong, reliable and will soon become one of your go-to pieces of equipment when trying to navigate over difficult terrain, go through a stream or anything else you may find challenging throughout a journey. You will be able to find a color, size, and material that suits you and with there being so many options on the market prices always remain competitive.
Key things to look out for-
Comfort-- We would say that making sure you purchase a trekking pole which will fit your hand is really important. The grip is the most important factor when it comes to overall comfort, obviously, the size will have an effect on how comfortable you are also. Make sure you pick a Pole which is the right size for you or it will be more of a problem than an aid. Most high-quality trekking poles are adjustable so they are suitable for people no matter their height.
Build Quality-- There are many different materials used in the production of these poles, make sure you pick one which is guaranteed to last you many years of use. The locking mechanism is a very important part of the pole and one which is normally overlooked when people are purchasing although it will be used multiple times.
Shaft- The shaft makes up the majority of your trekking pole and will usually be made of either aluminum or carbon fiber. Both of these have their own benefits; carbon fiber is way lighter and therefore and on a whole are stronger than aluminum. However, aluminum shafts are able to take a couple of hard hits before you have to replace them.
Tip/Basket-- Your tip/Basket will have a massive effect on the overall performance of your pole, it decides what terrain you are walking on (or at least meant to be). The tip will sink into the ground and help you keep balance and push yourself into the next step; you want this to be durable and reliable. The basket is pretty much a barrier for the tip, otherwise, it would keep on sinking into the floor. They are especially important when you are traveling over difficult areas such as stream or snow, otherwise, your pole would sink way too far and become a hassle instead of an aid.
Handle/Strap-- Although we’ve already mentioned the grip above when going over comfort, that’s not the only reason it’s important. The grip and strap on your trekking pole will make sure you never lose the product, even when you accidentally let go! Many poles allow you to add foam extensions around the grip to add comfort and durability. The strap is also very important and your number one lifetime if you drop the pole. So make sure you pick one which is reliable and comfy because it will always be around your wrist.
How Could a walking Pole help me?
If you’re somebody that enjoys to go hiking and discover new areas of the world than a trekking pole could be exactly what you’ve been looking for. Their number one benefit is the fact that they’ll massively improve your balance pretty much instantly. This will give you a lot more confidence when you are going over challenging terrains as you will always know that you have a 3’rd leg to rely on. The number of times we have seen a trekking pole stop somebody from falling into the mud is unbelievable.
Although you may not realize it straight away, you will also save a lot of energy when you are using a trekking pole. Your arms will be able to do some of the work when your legs get too tired but that doesn’t mean you should completely tire your arms out either! If you find yourself struggling to walk around the house the day after a long walk, then a trekking pole could be perfect to take a little bit of that strain away from your lower half! Plus having a Pole will massively reduce your chances of pulling a muscle, twisting your ankle etc.
Best Trekking Poles 2020
What can be one of the best aids when going on a long walk is a high-quality trekking pole. It’s like giving yourself an extra leg to rely on in those really tough situations; we’re sure if you enjoy hiking and have been on multiple journeys you will already have one of these. If not then you are really missing out! There are many benefits to having a trekking pole on your hike with you, they provide stability and balance when going over difficult terrain. Even on the easier ground, they can still be a massive help for people who don’t have good balance.
With there being hundreds of different options on the market and new poles breaking onto the scene every week we know how difficult it can be to pick the best one. We have done hours of researching and gone over every major Pole out there to compile our list of the best trekking poles. There were some really tough choices that had to be made and in the end, we feel as if we have found 10 of the best options on the market.
Leki Corklite Trekking Pole
- AERGON Cor-Tec Compact Grip
- Aluminum shaft Speedlock2 Lock System
- Ultra Sonic Finish
- Measures 67-135cm
The Leki Corklite is the second Leki Trekking Pole to make it onto our top 10 list; Leki is always trying to come up with new and innovative ideas. That’s just part of the reason they have made some of the best Poles in recent years. With the Leki Cork light, they have clearly tried to create a comfortable and ergonomic Pole that will look right in any adventurers hands/backpack! Coming in at around $140 this Pole should be a serious contender to take your money and is undoubtedly one of the best trekking Poles on the market today!
-Comfortable Cork Grip.
-Made using Aluminium.
-Speed Lock 2, fast adjustment.
- You can easily adjust the size of this poll which means it is suitable for people of all heights if a family member of a friend wants to borrow this product they will be able to easily adjust it to a perfect height for them.
- The grip is very comfortable and will feel right in your hand.
- This Pole does a great job of increasing your Trekking speed, this is because it is light and will take away some of the stress from your legs.
- Although this isn’t a massive issue the poles do weight slightly more than some of the other options available. If you’re used to carrying Trekking Poles this should be no issue.
Yet again Leki has done a great job of making Trekking Pole that targets everything a customer desires. The Corkite is a really comfortable and durable Pole and one which will become your new best friend whilst going on a long walk. There are multiple benefits to using a Trekking Pole and Leki have made sure that not only the Corklite but all of their products are focusing on the important factors such as Balance, durability and much more!
Foxelli Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles
The Foxelli Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles is one of the highest rated poles in recent years and we can see why users and reviewers alike have loved this product! When using a Trekking Pole on one of your trips you will want to feel the benefits and know that you got good value for your money. This is pretty much guaranteed with the Foxelli Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles; it has won numerous Best Trekking Pole awards and we have to admit it is pretty hard to beat. If you’re an experienced Hiker looking for a replacement for your 10-year-old $20 Pole then this will seem like a lifesaver the first time you use it and we’re sure you’ll be recommending it to all of your friends in no time.
-Foam, non-slip grip extension.
-Vari-Width Nylon Webbing Strap with Woven Lining for increased comfort for users.
-Comes with low profile trekking baskets.
-Long Flex Tips.
-Aluminum Shaft with three sections.
- This Trekking Pole has a really comfortable Hand Grip, this is ideal for when you’re taking those long journeys. Some of the other Trekking Poles grips may leave your hands feeling sore and blistered. This should never be an issue with the Foxelli Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles.
- You can easily adjust the size of this Pole, making it suitable for people of all heights. The Foxelli Trekking Poles is fitted with the FlickLock System.
- Very durable, you shouldn’t have to buy a replacement for many years, not only does this mean you are getting great value for money but you can also feel confident whilst using this on long treks.
- They are rather expensive. If you’re on a really tight budget then this probably isn’t the best Trekking Pole for you.
If you’re looking for a high-quality trekking pole that will last you a long time then the Black Diamond is an ideal option. They come in at around $80 which may seem expensive but is definitely worth it. There are some great features which users should enjoy using and the sturdy Aluminum build fills us with confidence while taking on difficult terrain. If at the end of a trek your legs feel like they are about to drop off then this could be the piece of equipment that you’ve been missing.
Cascade Mountain Tech Aluminum Adjustable Trekking Poles
The second installation on our list, another fantastic option for anyone looking to enhance their Trekking Journeys. Sometimes all you need to take that final step is a helping hand. The Cascade Mountain Tech trekking poles could be exactly that, and it will always be ready and waiting to help. When you’re trying to navigate your way through a challenging environment the last thing you want to be worrying about Is balancing. With the help of a high-quality Trekking Pole, this thought should never enter your head again and you can feel safe&secure wherever you step.
-Lock on Security Strap.
-Quick adjustment capabilities.
-The upper segment made of aircraft-grade Aluminum.
-Lower section made of light and durable Carbon.
-Edgeless, Light and comfortable Thermo-Grip.
- Cascade Mountain Tech have clearly thought about all of the features they’ve implemented into this Trekking Pole. Each will benefit the user in a different way.
- Lightweight, this product is surprisingly light this is a massive positive when you’re going on a long Trek as you don’t want your arms to be aching as well. The mix between Aluminium and Carbon in the build makes this Pole Super-light.
- One of the most comfortable grips that can be found on a trekking pole. Cascade Mountain Tech have clearly taken into consideration the fact that this will be used for hours on end in all kinds of different weather.
- It is quite expensive, if you’re on a small budget then you may want to look at some of the other options!
If money is no option then the Cascade Mountain Tech is truly one of the greatest Trekking Poles you can buy. It is a durable and reliable Pole that will be in your hiking bag for many years as you take on some amazing journeys. Also being one of the most comfortable products available, you should definitely give the Carbon Ti a second look before completely buying a different Pole.
Montem Ultra Strong Trekking Pole
This three piece Pole is another amazing option when it comes to picking a good value for money and effective Trekking Pole. We have all be in that moment when all we needed was an extra helping hand to take them last couple of steps; the Montem Ultra could be exactly that. It has been built to last experienced walkers years of usage throughout some of the worlds toughest terrain and certainly lives up to its name! Next time you are taking on a snowy hillside or rocky beachfront you will be thankful you chose a Trekking Pole which you can rely on and one which comes with useful and user-friendly features.
-Ultra light (Less than 9.2 ounces per Pole)
-One year warranty
-Adjustable Bolts which allow people of all heights to use this Trekking Pole.
-Comes with straps to ensure safety throughout your Trek.
- Extremely durable; out of all the Trekking Poles we have and are about to go over this is one of if not the most durable of them all. Montem clearly thought about the strength of this Pole throughout the design process.
- Very good value for your money. This Pole is much cheaper than the models we have previously gone over. Coming in at only $50 this is a steal for Hikers.
- These Trekking Poles are also very light, there would be no point carrying a heavy Pole around as it would become a hassle and probably take away more energy than it would be saving.
- You will have to tighten the lock mechanism after every couple of uses. Although this isn’t a massive issue it can become a bit annoying.
- The included Snow Disk extra is too small.
With there being so many different options on the market it can be really difficult to pick the right one for you. The Montem Ultra Strong Trekking Pole could be the piece of equipment you’ve been missing while on a long walk. We were really impressed with this product and especially when you take into consideration its price!
Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork
The Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork was one of the top picks for most outdoor gear reviewers in 2016, and it’s pretty clear why. This Trekking Pole/s has done a great job of incorporating everything that a user would want from a high-quality Pole. It is a very reliable and tough product that should stay in your bag for many years to come and will undoubtedly become one of your go-to pieces of equipment when you’re feeling low on energy. One of the main reasons that many people chose to get a Trekking Pole is because of their balance in tricky situations. The Black Diamond Trail will definitely give you that extra support whenever you need a helping hand in your hike!
-Cork Grip which wicks away sweat.
-Non Slip foam extension.
-Interchangeable Carbide Tech Tips, Powder Baskets, and low-profile Trekking Baskets.
- Not only does this Trekking Pole come with a unique cork Grip/handle but you will also receive then non-slip foam grip with the Pole! This is great for different weather conditions and even when you just have sweaty hands.
- One of if not the lightest Aluminium Poles on the market today. If you’re looking for a Trekking Pole that doesn’t weigh much then this could be the perfect option.
- Good Value for money; although this isn’t one of the cheapest Poles available you will definitely be getting what you pay for. A High-quality and reliable option for those who are on a respectable budget.
- The collapsed size of the Black Diamond Trail Ergo isn’t as small as most Poles and this could be a big issue for those who like to pack all the essentials; or somebody who simply doesn’t have enough space.
Bafx Trekking Poles
The next installment on our list to be brought to us by Bafx, these walkingPoles are another example of a high-quality product that and Trekking enthusiast would love. They are made using aluminum which makes them extremely light and ideal for those who don’t like hauling loads of equipment around. If you are always finding yourself struggling to keep balance and feel as if you could do with that extra helping hand when Hiking then a Trekking Pole is probably one of the best pieces of equipment and you shouldn’t underestimate the impact it will have on your confidence whilst traveling over challenging terrains.
-Good Lock System.
-Made of lightweight 6061 aluminum
-Comfortable and durable Strap.
-Non-Slip ergonomic Grip.
- Made using light aluminium for the majority of the Pole, this is great as it makes the product very light. Nobody wants to carry around a heavy metal Pole all day.
- The power locking mechanism is easy to use and reliable.
- The Grip is quite comfortable and your hands should never slip, the strap also gives the user confidence whilst navigating over difficult areas.
- Very cheap, not for serious trekking
- No numbering on the bottom part of the Pole could become confusing.
Whether you want a Trekking Pole because your legs are too tired after a long trek or because you don’t feel confident in your balance there are hundreds of viable options on the market. The Komperdell C3 is an extremely light and high-quality Pole that would be ideal for anybody who enjoys walking. Make sure you don’t overlook this fantastic Pole, it is a hidden gem among reviewers and most people haven’t yet noticed how good the C3 is!
We hope that this buying guide has helped you to pick the right Trekking Pole for you. We know how annoying it can be to go through the many different great options available. That’s why we have done all of the hard work for you. Below are what we believe to be the best Trekking Poles that you can purchase when you take all factors into consideration. Obviously, you will have personal preferences when it comes to Colours, features, materials used and much more so we have found a wide range of different Poles; there’s one for everybody…
Anyway, there are many reasons for you to get a high-quality and durable trekking pole most of which have been listed above, thanks for reading our buying guide and we hope that you find a Pole which will become your new best friend when going Hiking!