If you are planning a hiking trip then first off you will be excited and nervous about the journey you’re about to take on. Especially when it comes to the weather conditions and where you’re trekking will take you. If there’s one thing that many people forget about, until a couple of days before the flight, is what they’re going to wear whilst they are hiking. One of the key items of clothing is decent hiking boots. Not only will they ensure your feet aren’t freezing the whole time, but they can also have a massive effect on your energy levels, balance and much more! Check out our hiking boot buying guide before you read our reviews to decide which is hiking boots are best for you. However, if this isn’t your first time buying a pair of boots for hiking then view our top hiking boot picks for 2019.
Hiking Boot Comparison Table
So then, you’ve booked your flights, accommodation is sorted; now it’s time to pick a pair of hiking boots that will assist you in your trekking adventure. Choosing between all of the different hiking boots that are available can be a time consuming, stressful and an irritating task. We have done all the hard work, reading hundreds of reviews, testing multiple products to compile our list of the best trekking boots for 2019. But before picking some that are right for you, you’ll need to find out what you should be looking out for in a pair of high-quality hiking boots.
Know your size!
If this is your first pair of hiking shoes then you may be surprised to find out that sizes aren’t always the same as they would be with a normal pair of boots. One of the worst things you could do is order a pair to only find out that they don’t fit when they arrive. Make sure you have been to an outdoor/shoe shop and tried on a few pairs before you make any purchase.
Ensuring you have the correct size is one of the most important factors to having effective and comfortable hiking boots. If they are either too big or small this will have a detrimental effect on you whilst walking, even if it doesn’t seem like it will be an issue when you first try them on. You can also use a good sizing chart to do a check.
Make sure you’re looking at the right type of hiking boot
Seen as you’re already here you should be fine, as all the boots we have listed below are ideal for serious hikes. However, if you do find yourself looking elsewhere for boots make sure you are picking the correct type. There are a number of different types and these range from walking boots, to specifically designed snow boots. Imagine spending hundreds of dollars on some boots to only realize later that they aren’t even the right type, you would be devastated. So make sure you’re looking in the right place before doing any research into them.
Don’t let the price put you off!
Many people seem to think that just because a pair of boots are cheaper that automatically means that they will be worse. This isn’t always the case and we would even go as far to say that certain boots are more expensive simply because of the brand name that is on them. In other words, make sure you seriously consider all of the hiking boots on our list even if the price isn’t an issue!
What should I look out for within a boot?
When you’re trying to pick between all of the viable options for hiking boots, there is only one major factor that can set them apart – that is their features/capabilities. For example, certain boots will be waterproof, have extra padding, steel toe caps and much more. You will have to pick the features that matter most to you.
Comfort- Obviously how comfortable boots are is one of the most important factors. If you pick a pair which you don’t particularly enjoy wearing then how do you expect to walk in them for days on end? At the end of your journey your feet will feel horrible, and probably have blisters to mark where the boots were particularly unforgiving.
Weather/Waterproof- Another really important part of a hiking boot is its ability to fend off the surroundings. If you’re trekking through a snowy/wet area then you will want completely waterproof boots; we can’t think of much worse than a pair of Hiking shoes which let water seep to your feet. This can cause all sorts of bacterial problems never mind the discomfort it would cause throughout every walk!
Weight- We would say this is one of the more obvious things to look out for. But when your trekking up a hill or in difficult terrain it can become extremely tiring to have a pair of heavy boots weighing you down every step of the way. For Trekking in the Himalayas, we would recommend you purchase some relatively light boots that won’t hold you back in any way. You don’t want to have something else wearing away your legs energy.
Build materials- seen as the materials used in the construction of your boot will be responsible for the majority of the other factors we’ve listed; they are very important! You will want to look out for a pair with durable material.
Best Hiking Boots for Trekking
Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTX
The first hiking boots to make it onto our list are brought to us by Salomon Quest and are definitely one of the best hiking boots on the market today. These are ideal for pretty much any trekking adventures and should be a pair that stays in your collection for a long time. Salomon has done a fantastic job of creating some boots which suit hikers no matter what destination they decide to go trekking in! The Quest 4D 2 GTX is one of the best all-around pairs of hiking boots that can be found on the market today.
-4D advanced chassis guide the feet.
-Nonmarking Sole will grip on all surfaces.
-Sensifit ensures a comfortable fit.
- Lightweight, although you will be able to find slightly light boots on the market; these aren’t heavy at all. If you’re used to wearing hiking boots whilst out on a Trek then these should be fine and cause no discomfort or ache whilst travel throughout most terrains.
- The grip has been designed to be effective no matter the terrain you are walking on. This way you can have complete confidence in your Boots, who wants to be navigating through a difficult situation whilst having to worry about whether or not your boots can keep you stable? A few adjustments to the pattern have made a massive difference and one which most hikers will appreciate.
- Waterproof, because these shoes have been made using nylon and leather they should have no issues when fighting off the water. We know how annoying it can be to get wet feet halfway through a hike. But with the 4D 2 GTX, this shouldn’t be a problem.
- Full back padding and rubber toe cap provide effective toe and ankle support. You may not realize just how much it hurts to hit a toe off of a rock until you do so. A painful experience we wouldn’t wish upon even our worst enemies. We’re grateful that Salomon Quest has added in a rubber toe cap!
- Quite a tight fit, so if you have large/wide feet you may want to consider some of the other options.
- They are quite expensive, if you’re on a small budget there may be some more viable options on the market.
Lowa Renegade GTX Mid Boot
- Climate-control footbed
- PU Monowrap Frame midsole
- Vibram EVO compound
- Waterproof and breathable Gore-Tex membrane
Another great option for anyone that is looking for a durable, and reliable pair of hiking boots that will last for years of trekking. The Lowa Renegade have earned some amazing online reviews and it’s easy to see why. It’s quite lightweight and should be perfect for any hiker who is looking for a pair of replacement boots and is already used to having a bit of extra weight on their feet, although they do fall into the middleweight category they’re only just heavy enough to do so.
-Climate Control Footbed.
-Nubuck Leather Upper.
- Has great support for your ankles, the Lowa Renegade team have clearly taken the comfort and protection of the area around your feet into consideration also. This will give you a lot more confidence whilst walk through challenging terrains and massively improve your balance.
- Lightweight, thanks to the Vibram sole and other factors this boot is really light. When compared to most of the other ‘middleweight’ boots this is one of the best options and if you’re looking for a reliable yet light pair then these shoes could be perfect for you.
- Massive range of choice, there are 26 different color combinations which are great for anybody who wants to fit in with their environment. Or simply wants to have their boots in their favorite
- Really comfortable, because of the ankle support, lightweight build combined with the cushioned insole and much more make this one of the most comfortable hiking boots out there!
- The lacing system could be better.
- Lots of upper seams which could lead to the boot being damaged easily.
Scarpa R-Evolution GTX Boots
- Gore-Tex performance comfort keeps your feet dry
- Vibram utsole for duravility and traction
- TPU toecap for protection
- Sock-Fit construction for reduced bulk and a glove like fit
These boots are the perfect combination of trail performance and comfort, this is great for customers who want to use these in multiple different areas. Scarpa has clearly looked at implementing features that users will use and appreciate every time they put on these shoes. They have also looked to innovate around every corner with loads of new build materials and a unique design this is definitely a pair of boots you should consider adding to your collection.
-Gore-Tex performance to ensure your feet remain dry.
-Vibram outer sole.
-SockFit construction for extra comfort.
- Durable, when compared to some of the other boots on the market the Scarpa Men’s R-Evolution GTX has been built using leather and textile, and has a rubber sole to make sure they won’t wear easily. Although they will eventually become worn you will definitely be getting good value for your money.
- TPU toe-cap will protect your toes at all times, many people don’t realize how important it is to have some form of toe protection until its too late. Make sure you choose a pair with proper protection, especially if you’re planning to take a trekking trip in the Himalayas.
- Has been designed for comfort, Scarpa has made their own tongue which will fit nicely around anyone’s ankle and the Sock-fit construction means the Boot should fit you perfectly. This is a prime example of why knowing your exact size is key when picking a pair of Boots.
- Your feet will stay dry at all times. There is nothing worse than having to complete a trek with wet feet and socks. The Gore0tex performance should stop any water from reaching your feet throughout your journey.
- When trekking downhill these boots seem to loose a bit of their comfort, although this may be down to the toe cap so it’s a sacrifice worth making.
- If you aren’t sure of your exact size you may end up with some Boots that are either way too tight or way too loose.
- Only one color available. Not great for those who like to personalize their boots as much as possible, although the Titanium/Grasshopper does look quite nice in our opinion.
Hoka One One Tor Summit Mid Hiking Shoe
The first of all the footwear that we’ve reviewed to be classed as a shoe instead of as a boot. The Hoka One One is an extremely lightweight and comfortable Shoe that will be perfect for any Hiker, especially somebody that isn’t used to having the extra weight of a boot dragging them down. These Shoes also happen to be one of the cheaper options on our list so far costing users only around $180, although there are probably better all round trekking boots Hoka have created a great alternative to the usual pair you would see in the marketplace today! Continue reading to find out about its features, Pros, Cons and much more…
- Waterproof, the fact that these Shoes are completely waterproof makes them perfect for hiking in the Himalayas. Nobody wants to go walking with the worry that their feet will easily become wet, not only will this effect where you’re willing to use them but will also have a detrimental effect on the health of your feet should they become wet throughout every walk!
- The lightest of the footwear that we’ve reviewed so far, if you don’t want your footwear to leave you with aching legs then these are by far the best option
- Really comfortable, although they don’t offer as much ankle support as the other shoes we’ve reviewed they’re still more than comfy enough for long Trekking journeys. The lacing system is also very nice!
- Cheap, compared to most of the top of the line Hiking Boots the Hoka One Tor is really cheap and shouldn’t be underestimated when it comes to its features and performance in all different types of terrain.
- Aren’t that durable, although they will last you a while when compared to certain Boots we can see how these would become easily damaged.
- The Grip is fine for most environments but we would have to say be careful when walking through extremely muddy areas as you may find it quite difficult to keep balance.
Salomon Ultra Mid 2 GTX
- Carbide tipped spikes inserted into the sole lugs ensure aggressive grip, even on ice.
- Full GORE-TEX bootie ensures breathable waterproof performance.
- Sensifit and quicklace ensure precise, comfortable wrapping for any foot shape.
- Salomon 2 year limited warranty
The second Boots on our list to be brought to us by Salomon, and another high-quality and unique pair that would fit right into any Hiking enthusiasts kit. The X ultras are extremely lightweight and a great alternative to the Quest 4d if weight is one of the main factors for you when deciding which Hiking Boot is best. Salomon always manages to impress us and these shoes certainly live up to their name. An average of 4.6 out of 5 stars from over 500 reviews on the Amazon Marketplace should fill customers with confidence when thinking about whether or not to purchase these for their Himalayan adventure.
-Speed Hook Hardware.
-Gore-Tex Waterproof Lining.
- Price, the Salomon Ultra Mid 2 GTX is the cheapest pair of Boots on our list and if you’re on a tight budget these may be your best option. Unbelievable value for money and more than enough features to draw customers in.
- Waterproof, what we would class as one of if not the most important feature on a pair of Hiking Boots. Especially when you plan to be using them in the Himalayas. These are completely waterproof and your feet shouldn’t get wet any point throughout your trek!
- Comfortable Boots, especially if you know what exact size you are as they come with Sensifit technology; your feet will feel nice and snug.
- High-quality build materials of Leather and textile ensure that this pair of Boots is Durable and won’t fall apart after a couple of walks. To say these are the cheapest on our list we were surprised with their quality when compared to more expensive footwear!
- If you’re not sure of your exact size then the sensitive technology may not be a helpful feature and could make your feet feel sour and too squashed.
- Not the best ankle support, if you’re looking for a pair of Boots that will improve your balance and help your ankles along the journey then there are much better options than the X Ultra.
What has to be one of the best all round hiking boots on the market today, and unsurprisingly one of the most expensive. Costing users a massive $330 this is by far the most expensive pair of Hiking Boots on our list; the question on most peoples mind is does it actually live up to its price tag? Well, this middleweight, highly durable pair of Boots boasts more than enough to gain a massive price tag. They are complexly waterproof and probably fight of water better than any of the Boots we’ve reviewed, and have been designed with a two piece construction which again adds to their durability.
-Removable two layers build.
-Nylon mono-mesh Liner.
-Durable and waterproof outer layer.
- Completely waterproof, if you’re going Trekking in the Himalayas then you will want your feet to remain dry at all times. These Boots will ensure that this happens.
- Really stable in all types of terrain, you won’t have to worry about slipping or falling over in these boots. They have a great grip as well as helping your stability with the Ankle protection.
- Provide great protection for your feet, at no point should you feel anything if you hit your feet of a rock or anything else that may happen throughout your journey. This is thanks to the fact there are two layers to the Boot and they should deliver more than enough protection. After all, this is the main goal of a Hiking Boot!
- Durability, not only is the inner layer replaceable but it is quite difficult to cause any damage to the Gore Tex wrapped outer layer.
- Very expensive, these will cost customers a massive $350 which makes them the most expensive pair of Hiking Boots on our list. If you’re on a small budget then you will probably want to look at some of the other options.
- They aren’t the lightest Boots and will probably leave you with aching legs and sweaty feet.
You might also like our guide to the best hiking watches if you are looking to take your hikes seriously.