When going camping as a group or with your family, take a big tent. In fact, the rule of thumb is to take a tent rated for more people than you have in the group. That way, you can have some maneuvering space inside the tent. Fortunately, that is why you are reading this article on the best 8 person tent that you can buy. With such a tent, a group of 5 to 8 people can sleep comfortably in the woods. They can also have enough storage space for their gear.
Since a tent for 8 people is going to cost you a substantial amount of money, you had better choose keenly, after doing some due diligence.
We have done the footwork for you to help you choose a well-built, durable tent. See below:
Reviews of the best 8 person tent
Among some of the things that you should consider when buying such a large tent include features like rainfly, tent floor, seams, porch, partitioning/screening, season rating and so on.
Coleman Evanston Dome Tent with Screened-In Porch and Screen Room
- Weatherproof; Welded corners and inverted seams keep water from getting in; included rainfly offers extra weather protection
- Conventional Pitch: Sets Up in 15 Minutes
- ROOMY INTERIOR: 15 x 12 ft. with 6 ft. center height; fits 2 queen-size air beds
- Bug-Free Lounging: 10 x 5 Ft. Full-Floor Screen Room
- CARRY BAG: Included for easy storage
Coleman is one of the most popular names in the camping industry. Therefore, it is always exciting to come across one of their camping tents. With this dome tent for 8 people, you can expect a good number of features.
First, you will get a screen room, which is very important when camping in warm weather. The benefit of having a screen room in a tent is that you can lounge and watch the sunset or sunrise from behind the screen, and keep the awful bugs out of your face. In addition, such room may also be used as extra sleeping space when the conditions allow.
Secondly, you will also get internal storage pockets. These pockets can hold your small personal items, chargers and phones when you go to sleep. This is much better than keeping these items on the floor. The interior pockets are meshed so you can see what is inside each. They help keep your tent space organized and they keep your small items safe.
Thirdly, you will enjoy the WeatherTec features. This technology is exclusive to Coleman and they deploy it to all of their tents. It includes four main things. One of them is the inverted seems that help make your tent even more weather-resistant.
There is also the wind responsive frame design that ensures that even in gale-strong winds, the tent poles do not collapse. Other WeatherTec features include waterproof tent floor and zipper cuffs that prevent cold or moisture seeping into the tent through the zippers.
What we like
• It is easy to pitch this tent – takes 15 minutes or less
• Made of strong polyester material
• Enough head space for most people even when standing
• Window awnings keep the tent ventilated
What we don’t like
• It is not a 4-season tent
• Screened porch gets wet when it rains
Coleman Red Canyon Camping Tent
- Camping tent with spacious design offers enough room for 8 people to sleep comfortably
- Included dividers let you create 3 separate rooms for privacy
- WeatherTec system with patented welded floors and inverted seams keeps you dry
- Measures 17 x 10 feet with 6 foot center height
- Easy to set up and pack away with separate bags included for tent, poles, and stakes
Every tent in the market has some outstanding features that set it apart from the others. For the Coleman Red Canyon tent for 8 people, the special feature is the divider for privacy. The tent is 6 feet high at the center. As for the space, it is 17 by 10 feet, which is more than ample for 8 people to keep their gear and sleep comfortably.
One thing that endears this tent to many people is that you can choose different pitching options. For example, if you do not mind rolling up your sleeves to do some work, you can buy the conventional pitch tent. You will have to figure what pole goes where. Generally, it should take you about 20 minutes.
You may also choose the fast pitch tent. The poles are color-coded, and that cuts the pitching time by half. Lastly, you can also choose the instant setup tent. You can have such a tent ready in less than 2 minutes. Just spread the tent and secure it, and you are done.
Like many Coleman tents, the use of WeatherTec technology makes it an advanced tent. You can look forward to inverted seams which keep cold and water out. The “welded” floor offers better insulation and the zips are insulated too.
You can divide the tent into three rooms for privacy. This is a very important feature, which is often overlooked. When you want to give yourself and your kids or guests privacy, just use the dividers to set up dividing walls.
What we like
• Tent comes with a carry bag
• It is waterproof and it can take a torrent without letting in water
• Can fit three queen-size air mattresses
• You can choose a Red Canyon tent depending on your pitching skill
What we don’t like
• It has mesh openings that you cannot zip close
• Some users complain about the zippers getting stuck at some points
Wenzel Klondike 8 Person Tent
- Convertible screen room with inverted "T" style door and inside flap zippered windows
- Removable seam-sealed fly
- Mesh roof vents, 2 zippered side windows with inside flaps
- Shock corded fiberglass roof frame with steel uprights and corner elbows combined with pin & ring for easy set up
- Guy out vent at the back of the tent, Two convenience pockets
Wenzel has been making camping gear since 1887 and therefore, you can expect their product to be of superb quality. Their Klondike 8 person tent does not disappoint. It can accommodate 8 people comfortably and still have some space to spare. The tent has 6.5 feet of central headspace. Its size is 16 by 11 feet and it can fit to queen size air mattresses. It has a big screened porch for lounging. However, you can zip up the screened porch to make an extra sleeping room.
For airflow, this tent has vents in the roof and in the back. Airflow is very important in a tent shared by many people since it prevents the air from going stale. In addition, this tent is also weatherproof thanks to the Weather Armor fabric, which resists rain as well as wind. The insulated seams do not let moisture in.
For stability, this tent comes with steel stands and a fiberglass roof supports. These make it a force to reckon with in wind and rain. Coupled with the Weather Armor technology on the heavy-duty polyester fabric, you and your family can feel completely safe.
Other important features include interior pockets in which you can store your personal knicknacks, a removable rainfly for the summer nights and a high quality waterproof floor.
What we like
• You can separate the living room from the sleeping space
• Comes with detailed instructions for everything
• The sleeping space is large enough for two queen size mattresses
• The seams are waterproof
What we don’t like
• Takes some time to set up and may need two people
• The dark rainfly can make the tent retain too much heat in warm weather
Choosing the best 8 person tent that will not let you down can be a tad bit confusing for a first timer. However, you can never go wrong with the three tents that we have reviewed here for you. The attention to the small details such as the seams, awnings and interior pockets shows how much the manufacturers care about your needs.