Traveling requires meticulous planning; studying climates and terrains and understanding what kit you’ll actually need with you. Some things will be entirely dependent on weather and climate. If you’re going to be in warm climates, you need protective gear like sun hats and UV deflecting sunglasses, if you’re going to freezing climates, you’ll need down jackets and thermal under-layers. There are however a group of items that all travelers should be carrying with them, that will be multipurpose and required in practically every corner of the globe at some point during a long trip. Even if you’re a casual traveler, chances are you’ll end up wanting to hike to a peak, or camp in the desert, or do something adventurous, which, without the right gear you’ll be left floundering.
So, before packing up your rucksack full to the brim, make sure you’ve planned for these six items that every traveler should own;
Victorinox Swiss Army Knife
The classic Vitcorinox Swiss Army Knife. This will come in handy whether you’re in a hostel without a bottle opener or on a mountain top having just caught your dinner. Superior quality stainless steel blades which stay sharp for what feels like an eternity. With choices ranging from a few blades and gadgets to dozens of options and accessories, it’s a product which will get you out of pretty much any situation.
Its pocket size makes it an ideal travel gadget and even offers basic grooming attachments as standard, helping you keep up your hygiene on the road.
The Victorinox knife is the original and best choice, with over 130 years of history behind the brand. We also love the one with a built-in USB flash drive so you can keep copies of all your travel documents. Most flash drives come with full encryption to make your data highly secure.
- EQUIPPED FOR EVERYDAY. Features (7) functions: 1.25" blade, nail file with screwdriver, scissors, key ring, tweezers, and toothpick - this versatile multi-tool is ready for any adventure.
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION. Swiss made stainless steel construction encased in polished ABS scales that provide ultimate durability in our sleek, traditional red finish.
- COMPACT CARRY. Fits comfortably in your pocket, purse, or as an easy-access addition to keys. No need to leave this knife behind due to lack of space - it's the sidekick you can take anywhere.
- KNIFE DIMENSIONS. Length: 2.25" (58mm), Height: .354", Weight: 0.74 oz.
- TRUSTED QUALITY. Made in Switzerland; Victorinox provides a lifetime guarantee against defects in material and workmanship. Making a lifetime commitment has never been so easy.
O’Black Microfibre Towel
The absolute must-have item for personal hygiene while traveling is a microfibre towel. Thanks to the way they’re manufactured, using lightweight, malleable and more water-resistant materials, the towel can be both folded or rolled into a far smaller and easily manageable size than a regular towel, but also deflects moisture far better, making it dry faster than a typical bathroom towel also. Ideal for hopping from place to place and having to pack it back up with your dry and clean clothes.
There are many brands to choose from in this market, with some performing better than others. O’Black’s offer an excellent range of lightweight microfibre towels in different sizes, styles and at reasonable prices.
- 1.Size & Color: 2 size optional soft microfibre towel , Large 23.6 * 47.2 inch (60cm*120cm), X-Large 33.5 * 59 inch (85cm*150cm). 3 color optional, pink / gray / blue
- 2.Fast Drying Towel: SUPER ABSORBENT - capable of repeat use in short time & dry you fast. The ultra absorbent fabric soaks the water right off you like a shammy
- 3.Antibacterial: Microfiber Towel is super absorbent feel comfortable touch to skin, anti Bacterial properties for odour prevention - keep your towel fresh and away from mildew & germ
- 4.Light Weight & Easy to Carry: The Fast Dry Towel comes with a convenient carry bag to help store hygienically. Great to lighten the load when using as a gym towel, sports towel or to take with you on holiday and related activities
- 5.Broad Usage: Best Quick Dry Towel is Perfected for backpacking, travel, boating or camping, swimming and other outdoor sport activities including yoga, golf and other gym sports. Or as kitchen sink towel for when there's many guests over who wash and dry their hands, perfect dish drying mat too
Trespass Lightweight Windproof Raincoat
Lightweight and easily stuffable wind and rainproof jackets are essential for pretty much anywhere in the world. If you’re planning on trekking up any mountains, exploring jungles or rainforests, sailing, or even camping in the desert, this bit of kit will be the wall between you and the elements.
The lighter the coat, the better, and Trespass’ jackets are both that and good value for money. There are some brands to choose from which will provide the quality and protectiveness that you require. Just don’t sell yourself short by trying to save money over buying a product with substance. That can be done elsewhere in your packing. Read more lightweight waterproof jacket reviews.
- Mesh lined body and polyester lined sleeves.
- Tres-shield fabric is waterproof 3000mm and windproof.
- Taped seams.
- Concealed adjustable hood.
- Full zip with tear release storm flap.
Victorinox Paracord Watch
A watch for all elements, created by the masters of survival at Victorinox. This durable stainless steel and water-resistant watch up to 200m is ideal for any adventurer or water sports enthusiast. With luminous hands, it works under the darkest of night skies. The watch’s biggest feature, however, is the paracord strap, made from the same materials that parachutes have been manufactured with since World War II. The strap can be detached and unraveled to be used for some scenarios. Whether as twine for building a shelter, a line for fishing, a trap for food, or for those with fairly advanced survival skills, a bow for fire-making.
Other paracord watches and straps are available, but Victorinox is once again the original.
- Swiss-Made 43MM stainless steel watch featuring black dial and black paracord strap with hook buckle closure - Also includes black rubber strap with buckle closure and removable translucent bumper
- Features hypoallergenic stainless steel, scratch resistant triple-coated anti-reflective sapphire crystal, and luminescent hands
- Water resistant to 200 meters (20 ATM, 660 ft) Suitable for scuba diving, swimming, and snorkeling. A jelly fish bumper maintains a defined bezel position and has a magnified effect for increased visibility
- Engineered to withstand an intensive battery of 130 tests to demonstrate its exceptional resistance to everything from two hours in a washing machine to being driven over by a 64 ton tank
- Made in Switzerland; all Victorinox Swiss Army timepieces are covered by a 3-year limited warranty
Aleader Lightweight and Waterproof Hiking Boots
For ankle and foot support, as well as superior tread, you can’t beat hiking boots for long walks, mountain or jungle treks or even simply walking through more historical cities with primitive infrastructure. A pair of hiking boots can be heavy, so make sure you keep an eye on weight. If it’s your only pair of shoes for traveling, then there’s less to worry about but if you’re planning on wearing trainers or other casual shoes for most of your trip, bear in mind you’ll need to be carrying these with you on your back. Waterproofing or at the very least, resistance, should be a high priority also for trails with river crossings or humidity factors involved.
Aleader’s all leather and rubber option is both lightweight and fully waterproof.
OutdoorsmanLab Travel Sleeping Bag
At some point on your trip, chances are you’ll need a sleeping bag. Whether because you’ll be camping overnight up volcanoes or because the hostel you’ve picked hadn’t planned for the recent chilly spell of weather that the area is experiencing. Either way, when you choose one, choose a travel one. Sleeping bags can be frustratingly space consuming, and as easy as it looks having one hanging off of the side of your rucksack, prolonged exposure to the outdoors or being bashed around can leave them a little bashed, bruised and dirty.
OutdoorsmanLab’s lightweight and compact travel sleeping bag will fit in your rucksack nicely, and is stuffable, meaning it will take the shape of whatever else is in your pack.
- GET A GREAT NIGHT OF SLEEP ON YOUR CAMPING / BACKPACKING TRIP- Support a U.S. based small business and enjoy PATENT PENDING designs packed with innovative features such as integrated pillowcase, inner pocket, and sleeping pad traps. All designed to help you get the best sleep after a tiring day of camping / backpacking.
- PERFECT WARM WEATHER SLEEPING BAG (55F - 75F): Ultralight at only 1.6 lbs and super compact with compression sack. Easy to carry and store even for kids. Fits Men, women kids up to 5'11". Size: 73" x 29.5".
- STAY WARM AND COMFY THROUGHOUT THE NIGHT - high loft filling for temperature range of 55F to 75F). Extra-soft liner and durable shell with water repellent coating ensures you can stay dry, warm, and comfortable on your camping trip.
- STOP ROLLING OFF SLEEPING PAD: 2 elastic straps on the backside ensures you stay on your OutdoorsmanLab sleeping pad the entire night. Pair perfectly w/ OutdoorsmanLab Sleeping Pads. Extra inner pocket makes sure your personal belongings are safe.
- MAKE IT A DOUBLE: Perfect for couples, Parents with kids! Buy 2 different color sleeping bags (Must be one color each) and zip them together into a double bag!
The famous saying of ‘failing to prepare, is preparing to fail’ is never apter than with traveling. At the very least you’ll end up forking out money from your travel fund for things that you could have shopped around for back home for less. Make sure you’re prepared by ticking off all of the essentials before you leave, leaving the rest of your thoughts to be taken up by all the exciting adventures you’ll be getting up to on your travels.