This guide reveals the best jungle hammocks on the market right now while shedding light on the things to look for in a good jungle hammock.
Whether you are planning a weekend getaway for camping with family or friends, or hitting the back trail around the world, getting a good night’s sleep can make or break your experience.
The notion of sleeping under the stars with nature serving as a natural backdrop can especially come across as a magical experience. But ask anyone who’s been there and they will tell you sleeping on the ground can be a lot less comfortable than you are used to.
Sure, communing with the splendour of the natural world has been scientifically proven to reduce stress levels and improve your sleep. But a comfortable night sleeping in a tent, or sleeping pad, camping bed, hammock or whatever your preference is not always a given.
It can quickly turn into a horror show in which everyone is whinging about being uncomfortable, too many mosquitoes or too much heat (or cold).
But a good jungle hammock can eliminate your sleeping problems for good.
A jungle hammock is a type of hammock designed for expeditions or adventure. It is designed differently than most other hammocks, taking into account things like climate, weather and insects. It also comes with additional perks like extra storage to stuff valuables like flashlights, maps and so on.
Jungle hammocks are the most durable type of hammock. They are tough and extremely comfortable, making them the perfect hammock not just for long-term use, but also for those who go camping or backpacking on a regular.
They are the full kit, but their main drawback is they can be a bit heavy and pricy – at least compared to other types of hammocks.
How to Choose the Best Jungle Hammock
The best jungle hammocks tend to be versatile, and can be used in virtually any setting. They can be set up between two trees, down low or high up, or even out over water if need be.
When choosing a jungle hammock, the key things to think about include:
When it comes to size, the choice is usually between single and double hammocks.
- Single hammocks: Majority of singles have a width averaging four to five feet. The benefit of choosing a single over a double is it shaves off the pounds you need to carry, a biggie for backpackers.
Most have a weight capacity of between 300 and 400 pounds, but ultra-light versions support 250 pounds. The obvious downside associated with singles is less space for either lounging or guaranteeing a perfect sleeping experience.
- Double hammocks: The width for doubles falls in the five- to six-foot range. These are the go-to choice for those looking to share some hammock time, but we wouldn’t recommend it as you’ll end up squishing into each other.
If you love some ample wiggle room, a double is a great choice. Unless, of course, you are claustrophobic.
On the downside, double hammocks are heavier, so not suited for the light backpacker. But they have an incredible weight capacity of 400 to 500 pounds on average.
Length: Unlike widths, hammock lengths don’t vary much. For the most part, this is not a dimension that should be much of a concern, unless you are extra tall.
A good tip to remember when considering hammock length is to opt for a hammock that is two feet longer than your height.
Jungle hammocks are mostly made from nylon or polyester.
The fabric is measured in denier which basically shows the thickness of the individual threads. The higher the denier, the heavier the fabric.
- Suspension System
The suspension system for jungle hammocks mostly encompasses carabiners and straps. A lot of jungle hammocks come with the suspension system, but not always.
Longer straps will give you the flexibility to set up in a range of situations, which obviously affords you more options when it comes to attachment points. No one wants to find a perfect spot between two spaciously spaced trees only to find the straps fall short.
Also, opt for straps thicker than 0.75 inches. Thinner ones tend to dig into barks, damaging trees in the process.
Jungle hammocks come with a slew of accessories:
- Under-quilt: Without insulation underneath your hammock, it can get pretty cold at night depending on where you are. Some opt to carry a sleeping pad, but this is not always the best choice.
Because it hangs outside, a separate under-quilt is warmer since it doesn’t compress the insulation between you and the hammock.
- Rain Tarp (Rainfly): This is also separate from the hammock and suspends higher up the hammock using guy-lines which ensure a taut pitch. A good tarp has flaps on the side that shield you from the rain, keeping you completely dry. The bigger the tarp, the more protection it can provide.
- Mosquito Net: No jungle hammock is complete without a bug net. The netting should be able to zip over you to effectively keep mosquitoes and other insects away while you sleep – ideally, a 360-degree protection model which hangs underneath. The net can be rolled away when not in use.
These accessories are the standard features.
The Best Jungle Hammocks on the Market
Choosing the right hammock can be daunting what with the array of options available out there.
We decided to save you the hassle of doing the research so you don’t have to.
We have scoured the stores, looked at what’s new, what’s old and what’s changed, while taking the opinion of previous customers into account. Then we proceeded to assemble a list of the five best jungle hammocks money can get you in 2018.
Here is our select 5.
Hennessy Expedition Hammock
- EXPEDITION CLASSIC This is the Hennessy that started the hammock camping revolution, our most popular bottom entry camping hammock designed for anyone up to 6ft and 250lbs (183cm /114kg); Snaps closed under the weight of your body and seals with velcro.
- COMPLETE system includes: tightly woven 70d high density nylon bottom; 30D no-see-um mosquito mesh; Gear loft slides on ridgeline; 70d polyester ripstop rain tarp; 1500lb (680kg) test polyester ropes; Complimentary webbing straps included.
- DESIGN: This legendary camping shelter is uncompromising in materials and workmanship. There are countless tiny improvements that only 40 years of effort could achieve but you can feel as soon as you stretch out in this hammock and close your eyes.
- PATENTED asymmetrical shape provides exceptional comfort when lying on the diagonal (US Patent # US6865757B2); Structural ridgeline guarantees the exact same bed every night and a perfect setup every time (US patent # US20090165205A1)
- QUALITY ASSURANCE: One year on materials and workmanship; Weight: 2lb 12oz (1247g); Compact size: 4"x 7"x 9" (10cm x 18cm x 23cm); Color: Hunter Green with black trim; See Enhanced product info at bottom of this page
To kick us off is a hammock that has earned the status of ‘ultimate all-in-one hammock’. Reason is because it comes as a complete package that doesn’t require you to purchase any extra add-ons.
The Hennessy Expedition Hammock comes with tree straps, steel carabiners, rain tarp, mosquito net and guy-lines, complete with a branded polyester stuff sack to keep everything in.
The Expedition jungle hammock is designed with extreme conditions in mind. So, if you are looking for something that can withstand serious conditions – rain, extreme cold or rugged terrain – few tick the box better.
It has a thick fabric (210D Oxford nylon) which is extremely durable to withstand several years of frequent use. However, this also makes it heavy, totalling about 1.65kg including accessories. This either makes it an asset or liability depending on circumstance.
However, while that is generally heavy in hammock speak, you can also look at it from the point of view that it is still lighter than most sleeping bags. It does compact down well too.
Despite its heavy fabric, the Hennessy Expedition allows for breathability, while the mosquito net protects you from annoying bugs.
If you deem the Hennessy Expedition Hammock quite heavy for your adventures and need something lighter that doesn’t compromise on the quality, the Hennessy Ultralite Backpacker Hammock is a great alternative.
It is a Hennessy Expedition minus the weight, and the name itself leaves little to the imagination as to whom it is targeted at.
The Hennessy Expedition can support 114kg (250 lbs) of weight, and it comes with a waterproof rain tarp that can double up as a sunshade.
In terms of comfort, the Hennessy Expedition jungle hammock provides high comfort levels irrespective of weather or terrain. It is also easy on the trees, thanks to web straps that prevent damage to the bark.
As with all things, though, quality and durability comes at a cost, and this is no exception.
- Highly durable
- Quality suspension system
- MAXIMUM SPACE AND COMFORT: The Roo hammock spreads to 10'L x 5'7"W, opening to the size of a queen bed. Comfortably fits two people, or offers a spacious night's sleep for one.
- DURABLE & STRONG: Holding over 500lbs, our rip-stop nylon LunarWaveTM fabric is stronger, lighter, and softer than other hammocks on the market. One of the only hammocks with climbing-rated equipment, you can rest assured that the Roo's climbing rated carabiners (22kN) and Dyneema slings for suspension will hold you safely and securely on your most dynamic adventures.
- PORTABLE & LIGHTWEIGHT: Weighing in at just 23oz, the Roo Camping Hammock compresses in it's stuff sack to only 5.5"L x 6.5"H x 4.5"W. This Camping Hammock is an ultra-portable companion for backcountry camping, or backyard tailgating.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY: And 100% Guaranteed Satisfaction, we proudly stand behind everything we make. The Roo carries a lifetime warranty to the original owner against material and workmanship defects. The warranty does not apply to normal wear and tear and requires proof of purchase or warranty registration on the Kammok website.
- Buy Kammok. Give AdventureTM to Youth. Your purchase allows us to support youth through leadership training, mentoring, and outdoor adventure. Visit kammok.com for more information on our Give Adventure Program.
For some people, sleep is a ritual. They don’t just get into bed and wander deep into slumber land. They need to ‘get in the zone’ before they can enjoy restful sleep.
For these guys, doing it in the comforts of their home poses challenges of its own, unless they have honed the art of relaxing bedtime rituals over time. Suffice to say that for them, getting good sleep outdoors can be hell.
If this sounds like you, it’s time to acquaint yourself with the Kammok Roo.
Kammok offers two hammock models: the Roo and the Wallaby. The Roo is more spacious than the compact and ultralight Wallaby, employing a comfortable LunarWave material for its fabric.
It is considered one of the most luxurious jungle hammocks on the market. It is huge, it is tough, it is comfortable.
One of its best features of the Kammok Roo is its python straps. They are designed in such a way as to make them easy to set up. They are tough as the hammock itself and can support up to about 230kg (500 lbs.) of weight.
The hammock’s size and weight capacity means it can fit two people comfortably. Actually, this is a double hammock.
But if you are one of those who have trouble sleeping, the last thing you want is to be breathing on each other’s face. Which is perfectly fine because the Roo need not be used by two.
After all, the roomier, the merrier.
The Kammok Roo is constructed with LunarWave fabric which is both strong and soft, not to mention light.
However, this is more of a parachute than jungle hammock, so many of the standard accessories that come with the latter need to be purchased separately. These include the straps, rain tarp and mosquito net.
Good thing is, the hammock on its own costs less than $70, so including quality add-ons should come to around $150-$160.
- Extreme comfort
- Ease of setup
- Lifetime warranty
- Lack of accessories
Proforce Equipment Jungle Hammock by SnugPak
- Category name: camping-survival
- Country of origin: China
- Brand name: Snugpak
- 9 feet x 4 feet 8 inches
- 400 pound weight capacity
SnugPak is a British company that has been producing gear for military forces across the years, so it is not surprising to find one of their products in our top recommendations.
The Proforce Equipment Jungle Hammock is considered one of the best jungle hammocks on the market for a reason.
With a shape resembling a giant pea, SnugPak designed this hammock as a sleeping bag inside a hammock bag. The goal was to avoid one of the biggest drawbacks of sleeping suspended above ground: the cold that builds up underneath.
While the hammock alone is sufficient to keep you heated up in warm weather or hot climates without adding blankets or a sleeping bag, it can be a bit thin for colder weather.
Its fabric is made from very light, albeit strong material that has undergone tests in some of the toughest environments.
It features a mosquito net built into the hammock such that there is no chance of you misplacing it. Most importantly, though, it helps keep pestering insects at bay, leaving you to enjoy a good night’s sleep.
In terms of space, the Proforce Equipment Jungle Hammock is big and quite spacious inside, allowing for a maximum capacity of 182kg (400 lbs.). The mosquito net hangs high off the hammock so there are no chances of it getting all up in your face, allowing for cosy naps.
When you don’t feel the need to use the netting, you can easily turn it over and use the hammock without the net.
It comes with a suspension attachment and four guy ropes stretching 10 feet each, and the whole system is designed to allow for quick and easy setup. And when it’s time to break it down, it is easy to fold up into the provided stuff sack.
On the downside, some users have faulted the netting for being more difficult to set up than the hammock itself, therefore taking more time than is necessary. This, despite the hammock coming with an instructions guide.
If you are on the market for a hammock to see you through multiple seasons unscathed, this SnugPak offering is strong, but definitely not the most durable.
- Highly portable
- Easy to set up
- Netting can be cumbersome to set up
- Durability could be an issue for serious users
Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro
- MULTI-FUNCTION HAMMOCK WITH BUG NET PROTECTION - this hammock includes a separate bug net to keep you comfortable and protected from mosquitoes, no-see-ums and other biting insects for ultimate comfort. The netting attaches to the hammock with a double sided zipper for convenient access and seals the bugs out. In cool weather, just flip it with the netting-side down and enjoy it as you would a parachute nylon hammock
- SUPER CONVENIENT AND MULTI-USE - ideal for relaxing when camping, hiking or traveling. From the great outdoors to your own backyard, this is the perfect alternative to a tent, sleeping pad, ground mat, or swing
- QUICK AND EASY SETUP - includes upgraded and high quality nautical grade carabiners, starter rope kit and a bug protection net suspension kit which allows you to quickly and safely attach your Skeeter Beeter Pro hammock wherever you want to relax
- HIGH QUALITY AND DURABLE - the hammock is made from 100% parachute nylon (70D nylon). It can endure the elements so you don't have to, all while supporting a weight capacity of up to 400lbs
- BIGGER IS BETTER - multiple tie outs give this hammock some serious interior space. Measures 10'6" x 5' and has a packed weight of 26.45oz
Next up on our list of best jungle hammocks on the market is the Skeeter Beeter Pro by Grand Trunk, a hammock that is considered one of the most complete on the market.
If you curious about hammock camping and in search of a quality, feature-laden hammock that doesn’t force you to break the bank, the Skeeter Beeter Pro should be one of the top contenders.
With a list price of less than $70, you will be hard pressed to find a cheaper hammock that doesn’t trade off the quality.
This hammock is extremely light, which is another way of saying it is constructed from very strong material. Strong indeed, for the fabric is made from 70D nylon, one of the strongest materials used for the construction of hammocks.
You would thus expect it to support a good amount of weight, which it does. The Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro has a weight capacity similar to the SnugPak Jungle Hammock (182kg/400lbs.).
It is very spacious inside (it measures 10’6” x 5’) so can comfortably accommodate both tall individuals and the well fed.
Despite the price, this hammock comes with its own mosquito net so you don’t have to buy one separately. This is no-see-ums netting which makes it very tight thereby reducing the chances of bugs creeping in through the holes.
For those days when you don’t feel like sleeping under a net or when in an environment with no bugs, you can flip this hammock over and lie on the other side.
On the downside, while the Skeeter Beeter Pro has a unique double ridgeline that lifts the bug net nicely, some people might find the net a bit low for their liking.
This hammock also noticeably misses one crucial feature which you need to buy separately: the rainfly. The GT All-purpose Rainfly is a good option, but tarps are available in a range of choices.
The suspension cord is also too short for some settings, so it might be a good idea to get separate cords when purchasing the hammock.
- Quality construction
- Good room
- Great packability
- No-see-ums bug net
- Ease of setup
- No tarp
- Poor suspension system
GoRoam Outdoors Camping Hammock
- PRO UPGRADE CAMPING HAMMOCK WITH MOSQUITO: Enjoy Adventures with a GoRoam Outdoors Micro Hex RipStop Nylon Hammock Complete with Loop Tree Straps & Lightweight Wiregate Aluminium Carabiners. Premium Quality, Strong, Lightweight Breathable Nylon Supporting up to 500lbs/225kg. Perfect for Camping, Hiking, Backpacking, Travel, Emergency Survival and More
- PROTECT YOURSELF FROM INSECTS & BUGS: Integrated Mosquito Net Hammock with Easy Zip Access & Elastic Guy Lines Keeps You Bug Free While Enjoying the Outdoors. All Packed Into a Compression Strap Hammock Stuff Sack With Quick Setup Using the HUG Hammock Straps Which Come Packed in Their Own Matching Nylon Carry Pouch
- SUPER EASY SETUP WITH OUR HUG SUSPENSION SYSTEM: This is the Full Outfitters Package - Including a Set of Non Stretch 10ft Loop Tree Straps with 12 Attachment points Each & 2 Strong Aluminium Carabiners. Hang Your Hammock with Net Anytime & Anywhere
- DIMENSIONS: Hammock 9ft 2in/275cm (Long) x 4ft 5in/135cm (Wide) Excluding Nautical Rope & Carabiner Length. Straps 10ft/3m (Length) x 1.5in/3.8cm (Wide). Weight - Hammock 23.4oz/665g, Straps 11.5oz/325g
- FULL GOROAM WARRANTY: We Pride Ourselves on Top Quality Products & Customer Service, So If You're Not Completely Satisfied with your Purchase Simply Let Us Know So we can Assist you to a Happy Resolution. Enjoy Your LIFE ON THE GO and Click the Yellow 'Add to Cart button' Above
Rounding off our list of best jungle camping hammocks is the GoRoam Outdoors Camping Hammock.
This full-kitted jungle hammock is for the serious camper or backpacker out there.
Made from 210T breathable nylon, it is very strong and withstand extreme use while supporting a good deal of weight.
It has an incredible weight capacity of 227kg (500 pounds), with a design that can accommodate a 9-foot person. That basically makes it universal, or free size if you rather. Its design also features triple interlock stitching which makes it even stronger.
This jungle hammock is known for its high comfort levels, so if comfort is high on your agenda, this GoRoam model ticks that box.
Despite the size, the GoRoam Outdoors Camping Hammock is super lightweight and easy to carry (largely thanks to the nylon fabric).
For its price, it is amazing how GoRoam managed to sneak in all the accessories offered by this hammock.
It comes with a rainfly, so consider it perfect for wet weather.
It also includes a no-see-ums mosquito net designed to keep out even the smallest of bugs. Held up with a shock rope, this net unzips from both the inside and outside.
And if you find yourself in conditions that don’t require its use, you can simply flip your hammock over to use without the netting.
On the downside, the netting has been faulted for being weak at the seams.
What else you will love about this model is the top-notch suspension system which features 10-foot long straps (tough nautical grade rope) with steel carabiners and 12 attachment points.
It comes complete with separate stuff sacks for the hammock and tarp, as well as a nylon pouch for the straps.
All these features combined go to show why this is considered one of the best jungle hammocks on the market. The GoRoam Outdoors Camping Hammock punches well above its price.
- Excellent suspension system
- Great weight capacity
- Super strong 210T nylon
- Stainless steel carabiners
- Carrying case + tarp and strap bags
- Bug net seams are low quality